Monday 8 April 2013

Tutorial Exercise > Art Movement

My favourite art movement? Pop art and Expressionism were the first thought that came to my mind, I would honestly say. However, if i were to pick one, I would still go with pop art. Even though I have always liked Vincent Van Gogh's artwork. Especially how he painted the swirly sky in one of his famous masterpiece, Starry Night. 

The thing about pop art that I find really captivating is how it uses recognizable images retrieved from popular media, advertisements and products. With the combination of putting in celebrity images and fictional comic book characters, pop art stands out because of its uniqueness.

Another characteristic which catches my attention is the use of flat imagery influenced by comic books, newspapers and even photographs. But then most importantly, what I love about pop art is the strong vibrant colours which makes pop art really stricking and stands out from the crowd.



(source)
I was a Rich Man's Plaything (1947) by Eduardo Paolozzi.
(source)
Just what it is that makes today's homes so different, so appealing? (1956) by Richard Hamilton.

(source)
Marilyn Monroe Pop art prints by Andy Warhol.
Personally, this artwork reminds me of the different faces/personality/sides of Marilyn Monroe. And what I love about it is the combination of various colours used and how it opens up my imagination.

(source)
A pop art skull drawing.
It is amazing how a person like me who has always disliked skulls can actually find this pop art inexplicably beautiful. I never knew skulls could look so mesmerizing, until now that it!


(source)
Eye-catching pop art nails!

Nail art would be the perfect example of how pop art has evolved and impact our daily lives. Which is also why pop culture remains popular among people even until now.


References
Paolozzi, E. (Artist). (1947). I was a rich man's plaything [Photograph], Retrieved April 12, 2013, from: http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/paolozzi-i-was-a-rich-mans-plaything-t01462

Richard, H. (Artist). (1956). Just what it is that makes today's homes so different, so appealing? [Photograph], Retrieved April 12, 2013, from: http://ndla.no/en/node/19645

Warhol, A. (Artist). (2010). Retrieved April 12, 2013, from: http://dobermansden.com/doberman-pop-art/

Skull Drawing [Pop Art]. Retrieved April 12, 2013, from http://weheartit.com/entry/25573932/via/zedsdeadbby

Martone, L. (Photographer). (2013). The one with the Pop Art nails!! [Photograph], Retrieved April 12, 2013, from: http://www.fingerpaintedblog.com/2013/03/the-one-with-pop-art-nails.html

No comments:

Post a Comment